Saturday, April 6, 2013

Walking in the Shawnee Trail Conservation Area on a Windy Day


I challenged myself a little more today since it is Saturday and I could steal some time for a longer walk. When at the Audubon Center a week or so back, I picked up a couple of Missouri Conservation Department brochures.  One of them was written about Shawnee Trail Conservation Area in Barton County.  So I drove up 43 highway north to 160, then west to M, then south to one of the parking areas along M highway where there was trail access.  From there I began my 1 hour and 45 minute walk.  I estimate that I covered about 5 miles round trip.

The Shawnee Trail area was all flat land like Kansas, about 3,645 acres.  This isn't my favorite terrain, as I prefer some hills,
but nonetheless it was nice, especially with the grasses turning green at this time of year. I saw white tail deer at the beginning and end of my hike, and also saw Canadian geese,Teal, and perhaps some other breeds of ducks.  On one of the lakes, I spotted two very large white geese, I'm not a goose expert, so not sure what kind they were.

Pin Oak Lake at Shawnee Trail Conservation Area
Since there were small lakes along the way, the scenery was much more interesting than it would have been otherwise.  Without the water, I don't think I could have brought myself to begin this hike, as it would have been nothing more than walking through some flat wheat fields for five miles!  Pin Oak lake had public access and looks like a prospective fishing hole for me and the grandkids.  There are two or three land piers out into the 14 acre lake and one wooden pier. There is easy access off of SW 50th Road and it looks like a restroom near the parking area.

It was an extremely windy day.  Otherwise, the weather was perfect at about 70 degrees.  From Joplin, the drive took about 30 minutes, I guess.  Not bad, but not a trip I would take after work unless I could get an early start and have a late dinner or eat on the way.


I'm not sure what this is but the locals would know.  Perhaps a Droid?




Look closely and you will see flying water fowl.  You can see how the wind was rippling the water of one of the small lakes.











No comments:

Post a Comment