Sunday, April 21, 2013

WALKING A JOPLIN PARKS TRAIL - North Street to Royal Heights


My Sunday afternoon walk this week started at a parking area off of North Street in East Joplin.  This area is located west of St. Louis Street and north of Broadway near the Tamko manufacturing plant.

I began my one hour walk at 5:20 PM.  It was a beautiful afternoon, suitable for short sleeves and I was even a little warm on the return, since I was in jeans.  There were several bicyclists, joggers, people on horseback and other walkers sharing the trail.  A young boy and middle aged woman, probably the boy's grandmother, were riding their bicycles.  I met them coming and going, and the lad, who was probably no more than 5 or 6 years old, was peddling like crazy.  I was impressed with his endurance, because there were several places along the trail with an upward slope!

I walked over the old railroad bridge at Turkey Creek and then turned east onto the paved trail that ended at St. Louis Street.  I believe the other section leads to the parking area at St. Louis and Zora where the Frisco trail heads toward Webb City.

When the trail ended, I crossed St. Louis and walked down Kensington Street to Highland then right on a street that followed the creek back west to St. Louis where I crossed back over to access the trail for the return trip.  However, as I was driving home after my hike, I saw that I could have walked across the St. Louis Street bridge going south, walked two or three hundred yards, and picked up another part of the trail that goes eastward into the wooded area.  I am not sure where this section ends up, but I think it might go over to Florida Street near the Newman intersection.  This will be good to explore on another day.

Once again, I was surprised to discover hidden beauty right here in Southwest Missouri, so very close to home! This was a surprisingly scenic hike with excellent trails which for the most part seem to follow the old rail beds.  The surfaces are well-maintained, and other than the familiar smell wafting from the roofing plant, I couldn't have asked for a more pleasant route.  I plan to return to this area, and in addition to the main walkways, I may check out some of the smaller paths that branch off into the woods. I am curious as to where they may lead.









No comments:

Post a Comment